My name is Tarikh Campbell and this is my very first blog! With this being my first post, I’ll share something that’ll help you get to know me better: 10 reasons why I’m excited for this summer!
- I’m starting a new adventure. One week ago…I closed out a 6 year career in biotech as a chemical engineer. Tomorrow…I begin a new chapter with Startup Institute Boston! SIB is a program that guides people through a transition toward working in a startup. My transition takes me into marketing, which is a field I’ve been dying to break into for years. There are tons of amazing people at SIB and I can’t wait to work with them all summer.
- I am a hip hop dancer and choreographer. I’ve been dancing at a high level for years, but I feel like this summer is going to be full of new opportunities. I’ve been getting a ton of support from the Boston dance community which has opened new doors to working with very talented students, studios, and artists. It has fueled my creativity and allowed me to create some really cool pieces. I can’t wait to reveal them this summer!
- I’m going to THAILAND! In July, a great friend of mine is getting married…in THAILAND! It’ll be my first time visiting and I couldn’t be more excited. I love traveling. My most recent vacation was a road trip from San Diego to Seattle and before that I visited Korea, Japan, and Hong Kong. I can’t wait for beaches, elephants, and authentic Thai food. But most of all, I can’t wait to witness my friend marry the love of her life.
- I’m going to San Francisco for another wedding! One of my old dance buddies is a co-founder of Infer. I get to be present for the happiest day of his life. And as an added treat, I’ll be checking out SF Pride in the same weekend. I support the LGBT community and can’t wait to join their celebration.
- J. Cole is coming to Boston (well…Mansfield, MA…same difference)! I love his music, with his most recent album being one of my top 3 for the year. Not only is he a talented artist, but he’s a great live entertainer. Those don’t always go hand-in-hand but he makes doing both look easy.
- My girlfriend just re-launched her bowtie business, The Magnetic Bowtie. One of the things I love about her is how fashion forward and creative she is. This is one of her dreams so it fills me with pride to see her going after it.
- MOVIES. Let’s see: Mad Max, Jurassic World, Terminator Genisys, Ant-Man, and the Fantastic Four just to name a few. I’m going to be spending a lot of time at the Fenway Regal theater this summer.
- Caribana! Which is? An annual celebration of Caribbean culture held in Toronto. I actually haven’t been to one since I was a middle schooler. A lot has changed since then and I’m long overdue for a cultural reawakening. I can’t wait to party it up with good island music and an endless supply of Caribbean food.
- Summer in Boston is simply amazing. Whether it’s watching the fireworks over the Charles on Independence Day or spending a weekend in Cape Cod, there are a million ways to enjoy Boston in the summer.
- Last but not least…it’s not winter anymore.
OK that last one was a bit of a cop out, so I’ll leave the 1oth reason to you. What are you excited about this summer? I’d love to hear about it!